Kristian Gjerstad - Tones 1.0 7” Yellow Vinyl
Tones 1.0 is a record specifically made for the purpose of melodic scratching, although it is not limited to just that; it can be also used as a production tool. Think of Tones 1.0 as a synthesized toolkit that blurs the lines between live performance and production.
Side A consists of 8 locked modulating tones (4 bass tones and 4 lead tones) that have been recorded from various analog synthesizers. They were recorded live while manipulating cut-off frequencies, resonance and LFOs to a click track at 133.33 BPM. This gives the tones extra rich sonics and more depth while being scratched. Each bass tone is recorded at middle C (C3) while each lead tone has been recorded an octave higher (C4).
Side B consists of musical phrases, chords, drums and skip-proof atonal scratch sounds, all of which have been recorded at 133.33 BPM.
You’ll find a rich tapestry of ideas to choose from ranging from funk basslines/chords and licks, soul chords and licks, drums and atonal scratch sounds. Major and minor 7th chords follow the circle of 5ths so that they are all relative to each other, perfect for creating music quickly. Once you’ve created a beat/sketch you can then jump to the skip-proof atonal scratch sounds and solo over the top. Enjoy.
1. Squidgy Black
3. Shadows From The Moon
4. Eric’s Wobble
5. Mrs Pipes
6. Numan’s Car
7. Escape From New York
8. Mind Ray
1. (A)Skip Proof - 2 Bar Chords Leading Into 2 Bar Chords Variation
2. (B)Skip Proof - 2 Bar Chords Leading Into 2 Bar Chords Variation
3. Major 7th Chords - Circle Of 5ths Sequence with Arpeggio Variation
Minor 7 Chords - Circle Of 5ths Sequence with Arpeggio Variation
4. Evolving Drum Sequence
5. 133.33 BPM Bass Phrases
6. Funk Bass Phrases
7. Skip Proof - Vocoded Fresh Ahh
8. Skip Proof - Atonal Noise Sweeps
• Debut release by renowned turntablist and inventor of the 'Button Box' Kristian Gjerstad
• Original musical phrases, chords, drums and skip-proof atonal scratch sounds, all at 133.33 BPM.
• 8 locked modulating tones (4 bass tones and 4 lead tones).
• vinyl with full colour reverse board sleeve.